Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Devin Townsend and Children of Bodom to tour the US this summer

To top off an afternoon of great news in metal, Metalsucks announced earlier today that Children of Bodom and Devin Townsend are set to tour the United States together sometime this summer. This may not be the heaviest or most brutal tour of the summer (that award as of right now still goes to Hate Eternal), but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like a blast. I've seen Bodom once before a few years back, and Devin Townsend is, well, Devin Townsend, so if anything this will be the kind of show you go to to get wasted with your friends and jam out all night. No actual dates have been announced yet, so whether or not it'll come around in time for me to actually be old enough to drink when I go to the show (and I mean "when", not "if") remains to be seen, but either way this is still exciting news and promises to be a good time. What I'm actually most interested to see is which one of them ends up headlining, because both bands are well-known enough to pull it off. To get into the spirit of it (and to fill out space, since I seem to be saying everything I wanted to say in like three sentences lately), let's keep the theme going and check out a couple videos from both of the aforementioned bands. First up we have the title track from The Devin Townsend Project's last full length Addicted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpfPpxjEhb8

Man, if that isn't spacey then I don't know what is. Is it industrial, is it nu-metal, is it djent maybe? Who the hell knows, Devin kinda does whatever he wants. And even if you don't like this particular band, there's always Strapping Young Lad, who surprised the hell out of me with how heavy they turned out to be. And even if this is a little too Hot Topic for you (no one would blame you, honestly), there's always Children of Bodom to look forward to; even their weakest offerings like Are You Dead Yet? are still heavy as balls and have a few cool songs on them, and their live shows are incredibly energetic and a ton of fun. Here's one of my personal favorite Bodom videos, from their 2003 classic Hatecrew Deathroll, entitled "Needled 24/7":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8GycF2idTM

Don't forget, Children of Bodom's new album Relentless Reckless Forever is out now, featuring the single "Was It Worth It?". I wonder how many people have used that song title as a joke for buying the album by now? I'm not saying you shouldn't get it, I did, I'm just saying there are a lot of douchebags on the Internet, and if I can think of it then they certainly can. Oh well, like I said any and all dates for the tour will be posted as soon as they're made available, and until then keep tuning in for more and spreading the word.

-BK

No comments:

Post a Comment