Thursday, March 31, 2011

New Morbid Angel album



Alright guys, once again this one's gonna have to be quick and simple 'cause I have prior engagements (and no, it's not JUST getting high and playing Dead Space), but this is still too cool of news to not report. Earlier today, Metalsucks gave us the scoop on a brand new album from the legendary Morbid Angel, their first since 2003's Heretic. Entitled Illud Divinum Insanus, the new album will be the first (and possibly only) to feature the mighty Tim Yeung (Divine Heresy, Vital Remains, Decrepit Birth, etc.) on drums. I say "possibly" because Pete Sandoval is still recovering from the back surgery he had a while ago, but there's no official word on whether or not his departure is permanent. Now don't get me wrong, Tim is one of my all time favorite drummers, the dude's a fucking monster behind the skins, but as with Kevin Talley and Six Feet Under I can't help but feel that he's a little bit overqualified for the job. Morbid Angel may have been one of the first bands to start using blast beats and all that stuff that we pretty much take for granted on a regular basis, but their drums have always been more like a faster Cannibal Corpse, whereas Tim Yeung's drumming falls more into the category of "holy shit, are you absolutely positive that's not a drum machine?" I personally don't think this is a bad thing, I like it when old school bands adopt newer, younger members who make them play faster and sound more modern, but I guarantee with a band as long-standing as Morbid Angel there will be plenty of elitist purists who won't accept anything that isn't Pete Sandoval. Time will tell as to whether or not they'll be able to get their heads out of the mid-Nineties, but in the meantime I'm still very excited to hear what these death metal veterans have in store. Illud Divinum Insanus is set to drop in America on June 7th via Season of Mist Records, and I'm sure there will be plenty of shows announced shortly before or after it comes out. I know I would definitely be interested in seeing a Morbid Angel show, I wonder if they still bloodlet on stage...? Oh well, gotta run, stay cool everyone.

-BK

No comments:

Post a Comment