Thursday, April 7, 2011

So this new movie "Hesher" looks pretty cool



Over the past few days I keep hearing about this new movie coming out soon called "Hesher", and at first I'll admit I thought it sounded kinda gimmicky. From what I gather, it's about Joseph Gordon-Levitt (good actor) playing a metalhead (weird) who befriends some sad depressed kid (overplayed), and also Natalie Portman's in there somehow (uhhh). The big draw-in is the fact that the main character is a devout metalhead, marking the first time one of us has been portrayed in a major motion picture as someone who isn't a brain dead, drunken high school dropout, and while I admit that that's an exciting prospect, I still wasn't sure how I felt about the whole thing, because let's face it, based on past experiences we've always felt that Hollywood doesn't know shit about our scene. However, the film was screened at this year's SXSW festival, as well as the Sundance Film Festival, and it was received well enough to warrant a nationwide theatrical release, and after watching the trailer and a few YouTube clips I gotta admit, I really want to see it now. The first half of the trailer is set to the beginning of Metallica's "Battery" (fucking GREAT song), introducing the characters and whatnot, and then in the second half it devolves into the classic montage of dramatic/funny scenes from the movie to sucker us in. And y'know what? It worked. I still think Gordon-Levitt's character seems a bit stereotypically reckless and lackadaisical, but he does a surprisingly convincing job of looking and acting the part, and the small amount of plot summation that I could gather from the trailer was compelling enough to interest me, so I'm definitely going to give it a shot when it comes out. Watch it below and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIY9F5FZsxI


Ok let's see, flaming diving boards, lots of stuff blowing up, Natalie Portman trying to fight people, Joseph shaking his head at the kid when he turns the metal off, and did I see said kid hanging out of a suspended car at the end? Call me crazy (not really, name calling isn't nice), but I think this shit actually looks pretty good. We'll find out for sure when "Hesher" starts playing on May 13th, and who knows, maybe I'll even review it. I used to do a movie review blog back in the day after all, so this may be a chance to get back to my roots a bit. I'm excited. Tell us whether or not you're gonna go see the movie in the comments, and tune in for more later.

-BK

No comments:

Post a Comment