Friday, January 14, 2011

Our First Interview Ever: Dr. Satan (Dead Walk the Earth, ex-Kyndread), MTV Superstar




That's right folks, I wasn't lying last week. I am very pleased to present Mosh Rebellion's first official interview (conducted via Facebook, 'cause that's how ghetto we are), with none other than the star of a recent episode of MTV's True Life,. Someone kinda famous is willing to talk to us, who'd have thunk it? Let's do this thing.

So first of all I think I speak for everyone at Mosh Rebellion when I say thank you very much for giving us our first interview ever, tell the readers a little about yourself. 

Hey guys, thanks for having me. I'm Andrew, aka "Dr. Satan". I'm the former vocalist for Kyndread, and I recently starred in the "I Have a Fetish" episode of MTV True Life.


What bands/songs/albums have you been listening to lately?
 

I've been listening to a lot of different stuff lately. Molesting the Decapitated by Devourment, Polarity by Decrepit Birth, Bleeding Through's new self-titled CD, and Beyond Cops Beyond God by Waking the Cadaver is fucking ridiculously brutal (to each his own, I suppose -Ed.). There's also the new Deftones album Diamond Eyes, God Save Us by Remembering Never and You Come Before You by Poison the Well. My homie also just recently got me into Premonitions of War's Left In Kowloon. Shame they broke up because this band is fucking sick.

How in the hell did you get the gig on True Life, was it your idea or did someone approach you about it? Tell us what the process was like, and what your take on the whole experience was.
 

Haha, it's actually a funny story, because I wasn't even going to do the whole thing. What happened was I was living with my roommate Steph at the time, and one of her friends had seen the True Life website and the audition page for all of the specific topics that are soon to come, and "fetish" happened to be one of the topics on the list. Knowing how much of a foot-obsessed freak I am, she freaks out and tells Steph about it, and that afternoon Steph comes to me and is all like "OMG ANDREW YOU HAVE TO DO THIS, THEY WOULD SOOOO PICK YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT FOR THIS" etc. I'm thinking there's no way they're gonna pick me out of all the people in the world with foot fetishes, but I told her I would do it if she looked up what I had to do for it. Turns out I just had to email them a story about my fetish and send them a pic of me with it, so I did it and what do ya know, two weeks later I got a call from MTV.

The show was a very long and slow process, but for me it felt like it went fast, maybe because I had a lot going on at the time and there was never a dull moment, I don't know. All in all I think it took about eleven months to finish the whole thing. The experience was great; it takes a lot to let someone into your life and have them follow you around with a monster camera invading your  personal space. But at the same time, I was really excited to show the world that there's more to Dr. Satan than just a foot-lovin' metalhead. 

Since you made your TV debut, has life changed for you at all, be it for the better or for the worse, or do you just have a ton of new friends now?


Since the show things have changed a bit. I mean, the show was a fucking HIT!. The second airing date's ratings doubled the premiere's, and that never happens! I'm also on the Howard Stern website and the E! Entertainment Soup Blog. That's all cool, not to mention I have like 1,399,399,393,299,000 Facebook friends and tons of girls hitting me up now. There was even one girl who posted a status on the True Life website saying, and I quote, "I would like to find Andrew from the True Life: I Have a Fetish. He is the foot fetish guy and I think I'm in love with him". But I also have plenty of creepers, stalkers and haters, which I guess is normal for being on TV. To all my haters out there: eat a fucking dick! I loved that girl from Mississippi from the outside in. I paid attention to every part of that girl's body, mind and soul, not just her feet, but I guess you douchebags didn't read the title of the show, and you didn't remember that they make everything more dramatic on television. Stop being jealous of my life and get your own. I'm looking to go further with this and do big things now that I've put my feet on the map. The possibilities are endless so wish me luck.

Those who know you personally most likely remember you from your days with Kyndread, so since the band broke up what have you been doing with yourself? Got any new badass projects going on that we (I) should know about?
 

Since the death of Kyndread I've actually managed to jump into two amazing local bands, both with unique styles and sounds. The first is Conqbine (from Newark, DE), with Nick from Kyndread. After Kyndread split Nick wanted to do something of his own with a different sound but still came from the music that heavily influenced him. I can honestly say that I'm honored to play in bands with Nick, he's one of the most talented guitarists I've ever met. The band wasn't supposed to be serious, we just started playing out and people loved it, so we went with it. I would say we're more along the lines of experimental hardcore, but still pretty grindy and dirty. The sound speaks for itself, check it out and you'll see. I really love this band, because this sort of music hasn't really been done around here, so it's pretty unique and different in its own way. Some of the influences include Deftones, Poison the Well, Converge, Gaza and Burnt By the Sun.


I also just recently joined the New Jersey death metal band Dead Walk the Earth, which is another interesting story. So, I'd never heard of this band, and they happen to be playing a show with Vital Remains at Mojo 13 one Saturday (what the FUCK, how did I miss this?!?!??! -Ed.). My ass is sitting at home, I don't even think I knew about the show, but then Chuck from Bulldog Promotions hits me up on my cell and is like "Hey man, there's this death metal band here, Dead Walk the Earth, and their singer couldn't make it, do you wanna come up and do some freestyle gurgle gurgle bree brees?" I figured sure what the hell, so I drove up there, met the guys (all real cool dudes), listen to their demo twice in the car, and then I jumped on stage and improvised the whole set. As soon as I got off the stage everyone's face was priceless! The guys came up to me immediately after the set and said that their singer was probably gonna leave the band soon, and they asked me if I was interested in being their new frontman, so here I am! Some of our influences would be Suffocation, Brain Drill, Despised Icon, Dying Fetus and Decapitated (now THAT'S what I'm talking about).

I'm happy and in love with both of these bands, check them out guys!


It's a well-known fact that Kyndread shows often got pretty intense, tell us the coolest and/or craziest thing that happened at a show you guys played. I seem to recall there being some suspension going on at one point.


Ahhh the good ol' Kyndread days hahaha. Something crazy happened at every Kyndread show, the hard part is figuring out which was the craziest out of all the fights, strippers, cake fight mosh pit, almost burning a house down, spraining my ankle, busting my head open, biker gang fights, Dr. Satan kissing booth, and oh yes, the suspension show. I think that was probably the craziest show. There was a professional suspension crew there called Disgraceland, and dudes and chicks were hanging from hooks in the ceiling by their skin. They even played tug of war with each other during our set! There was also a fucked up, crazy angry midget with a big mallet hammer smashing beer bottles and chairs, which eventually moved up to computers and TV screens and VCR's, then he started stapling money to his body and face. Yeah, that show was probably the craziest we've ever had.

Well I do believe that's all for now, thanks again for taking the time to talk to us, any shout-outs or last words you wanna give before we call it a night?


No problem guys any time, thanks again for having me. I think it's badass what you guys do for the local scene and metal community. Us metalheads gotta stick together and never let this shit die! Only thing I can say is if you truly want something in life then you can have it all, it just depends on how much you want it. I never thought karaoke would one day turn into a sick death metal band and then MTV, but I worked my ass off and look where it's gotten me. Never give up on your fucking dreams!

I wanna give shout-outs to my family, my crew and all my friends who believed in me and supported me from Day One. Also, Buz Hassan, The Tink, Daisy, Josh from MTV, Bulldog Promotions, Pure Death Productions, The Gypsy Queens, Patriarch Promotions, Mojo 13, Mojo Main, Drunk Monkey, Roller Derby Girls, Abby Normal and The Beachcomber.

Band shout-outs: Conqbine, Dead Walk the Earth, End-Light, If It Bleeds, The Barn, Mortal Decay, Blackheart Ace, Internal Fear, Von Kull, World Lost, Offset, Daimonic Gray, Altar of Dagon, Sapremia, Sever the Stem, Pale Existence, Nightfire, Cadaveric Spasm, The Grieving Process, Loner Eroded, Awaken the Seven Sleepers, Last Nail Driven, Her Virgin Womb, A View From a Hearse, Livid, Backside Jones, Hallowed Cain, Beezlefuzz, Morbid Terror, Acts of Violence, Insidious, Hell and High Tide, Quartered, Short Bus Pile Up, Anasazi, Your Mother's Roast Beef Curtains.


And that's that folks, thanks a million to Dr. Satan for taking the time to talk to us, and be sure to check out Dead Walk the Earth and Conqbine to keep up on his musical endeavors (although I don't think the vocals on DWTE's profile are his). Leave Dr. Satan some much-deserved love in the comments, and stay brutastic.

-The Baby Killer 

1 comment: