Monday, January 10, 2011

Slam Spotlight Part 9

Backwards caps, crossed arms and a Fallen shirt... not a great sales pitch


Alrighty then, I've been saving this next band for a while now, but I believe the time is right. This band is another personal favorite of mine, without whom I would never have gotten into this genre. Ladies and dudes, all the way from Grand Rapids, Michigan, I am proud to present Gutted Out.

This band is very talented all around, but I believe what really sets them apart is their drumming, or more accurately their drum programming. Yes, they do use a drum machine, and it's fairly obvious just from listening to it, but rather than just using it as an overpriced metronome like many other bands, Gutted Out really uses it to further their sound. There are a lot of experimental, syncopated beats and fills that most people wouldn't think to try, and they end up working quite well. This was something I noticed right away when I had the good fortune to see them live a couple years ago, and coincidentally that show also marked my first time seeing Short Bus Pile Up (who made my second Best Albums of 2010 list). That one show piqued my interest in the entire slam genre, and since then I've never looked back. It is my hope that they will do the same for you now, so without further ado, from their incredibly underrated EP Amongst the Rotted, this is "Maggot Ridden Bowels".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpmYStEsbak
 
To my extreme sadness, Gutted Out has since then disbanded, and it's a damn shame because they really had something going. I truly think that if given the opportunity, they really could have made a name for themselves in the slam arena. Their music was well-written and their live show was an absolute blast, but I guess some things are just too good to be true. Well, at least we still have the memories, and we'll always have this one EP, which you should definitely pick up. Hopefully the other members will go on to do something else, then who knows. Ahh, to dream.... Oh well, leave your comments, and stay brutal everyone.

-The Baby Killer

No comments:

Post a Comment